As the warmth of summer evenings beckons you outdoors, there's no better way to elevate your relaxation than with a smoked cocktail in hand. Smoked cocktails are not just about the smoky flavor; they're an experience, a craft that turns an ordinary drink into an extraordinary one. Below, we've curated a list of the top 10 smoked cocktails perfect for those balmy nights, each featuring seasonal fruits and lighter spirits to refresh and delight your senses.1. Smoked Peach Old Fashioned: A summery twist on the classic, this recipe brings the sweet, juicy flavors of ripe peaches, combined with the rich depth of bourbon. The key to this old fashioned recipe is the delicate balance between the sweet fruit and the smoky undertones. Start by muddling fresh peach slices with a dash of Angostura bitters and a teaspoon of sugar. Add bourbon and ice, stir gently, and finish with a smoky flourish using a handheld smoker.
2. Citrus Smoked Margarita: Nothing says summer like a refreshing margarita. This citrusy version adds a layer of complexity with the inclusion of smoked salt and a blend of lime and orange juices. Rim your glass with smoked salt, mix together tequila, fresh lime juice, a splash of orange liqueur, and a hint of agave syrup. Shake well with ice and serve with a slice of smoked lime for that extra zesty kick.
3. Berry Smoked Mojito: This berry-infused mojito combines muddled fresh berries, mint leaves, and white rum. The trick to elevating this cocktail is in the smoke-infused simple syrup. Boil equal parts sugar and water, add a handful of mixed berries, and let it infuse under a cloud of smoke from your cocktail smoker. Strain and add to your mojito mix for a sweet, smoky twist.
4. Smoked Pineapple Daiquiri: Tropical and tantalizing, the smoked pineapple daiquiri is a summer favorite. Blend together smoked pineapple chunks (smoked using your cocktail smoker kit),white rum, lime juice, and a bit of simple syrup. The smoked pineapple lends a unique flavor that perfectly complements the sweetness of the rum. Serve it chilled for a refreshing, smoky sip.
5. Applewood Smoked Martini: For a more sophisticated palate, try an applewood-smoked martini. Using your butane torch and applewood chips from your smoker kit, infuse your favorite gin or vodka with a subtle, fruity smokiness. Stir with dry vermouth and a dash of orange bitters, then strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon for a refined finish.
6. Cherry Wood Smoked Whiskey Sour: A classic whiskey sour gets a smoky upgrade. Start by smoking your glass with cherry wood chips. In a shaker, combine whiskey, fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of sugar, and egg white for a frothy top. Shake vigorously and strain into your smoked glass. The cherry wood aroma complements the whiskey's richness, creating a multi-sensory delight.
7. Hickory Smoked Bloody Mary: Ideal for a smoky brunch, the hickory-smoked Bloody Mary is a showstopper. Smoke your tomato juice with hickory wood chips, then mix with vodka, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and your choice of spices. Serve in a tall glass with a celery stalk and enjoy the deep, smoky flavor that hickory brings to this classic.
8. Maple Smoked Espresso Martini: For coffee lovers, a maple-smoked espresso martini is a must-try. Smoke your glass with maple wood chips, then mix espresso, vodka, and coffee liqueur in a shaker. Add a dash of maple syrup for a sweet twist. Shake well and strain into the smoked glass. The maple's sweetness complements the coffee's boldness, making it a perfect after-dinner cocktail.
9. Cedar Smoked Gin & Tonic: A refreshing gin and tonic can be transformed with a hint of cedar smoke. Use your smoker kit to infuse the gin with cedar aromas. In a glass filled with ice, pour the smoked gin and top with tonic water. Garnish with a wedge of lime and a sprig of rosemary. The cedar's earthy notes make this classic drink even more invigorating.
10. Mesquite Smoked Tequila Sunrise: End your evening with a vibrant, smoky twist on the Tequila Sunrise. Smoke your glass with mesquite wood chips for a bold aroma, then layer in freshly squeezed orange juice over ice. Slowly pour in tequila, allowing it to settle at the bottom for a stunning gradient effect. Drizzle grenadine syrup over the top; it will sink and create the signature sunrise look. Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice. The mesquite's intense smoky flavor adds a rustic edge to this colorful classic, making it the perfect finale to your summer evening.
As you explore these top 10 smoked cocktails, remember that the beauty of mixology lies in experimentation and personalization. Each recipe here serves as a canvas for your creativity. Adjust proportions, experiment with different smoking woods, and find the perfect palate balance.
Summer evenings are a time for relaxation and indulgence, and what better way to enjoy them than with a handcrafted, smoked cocktail? So, light up your smoker, mix your ingredients, and raise a glass to the art of smoked cocktails. Cheers!
Looking for more recipes? Take a look!